QR Code Link to This Post
The Community Health Worker (CHW) supports the patient care team by assisting patients with chronic diseases and their families by providing a variety of preventive and disease management services. Chronic diseases most commonly addressed are asthma, diabetes, COPD, obesity and hypertension. These preventive and disease management services include but are not limited to patient education; case and psychosocial management support/follow-up; home visits and linkages to community resources with the aim of educating and empowering patients and their families to control symptoms. All CHW activity is performed under the supervision of a licensed professional upon order of a healthcare provider.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supports and implements the organization’s vision, mission and values.
2. Determines priorities and method of completing daily workload to ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely manner.
3. Performs all job functions in a professional and courteous manner. This includes answering all general phone calls timely and providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
4. Fosters and promotes a culture of service excellence and accountability.
5. Acts as a liaison or bridge between patients/families and health providers/professionals. Interprets for low English proficiency patients, as needed.
6. Provides patient education to patients/families in both individual and group settings.
7. Provides referrals and connects patients/families to community resources.
8. Acts as an advocate in the community on behalf of patients/families to assist in resolving barriers that may interfere with health promotion, disease prevention, and general well-being.
9. Assists in maintaining and improving processes and systems that ensure comprehensive and thorough patient care (i.e. documents every patient visit, follow-up appointments scheduled, patient adherence to treatment plan monitored).
10. For asthma patients, conducts home visits to assess the physical and psychosocial environments according to written protocols and procedures
11. Conducts health outreach and education events.
12. This is the same as #2 above. Performs all job functions in a professional and courteous manner. This includes answering all phone calls and emails timely and providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
13. Complies with organizational policies and procedures.
14. Performs all other duties as assigned including participation in special projects and research.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High School Diploma or equivalency required.
• CPR certification required.
If you would like to apply for this position, please click on the link below: