Who We Are
QR Code Link to This Post
GeekTek is a technology services firm with its headquarters in Los Angeles and branch offices in Denver, CO and Hyderabad, India. Geektek’s services span a variety of industries, including manufacturing, entertainment, retail, non-profits and even art galleries. The talented team of more than forty members provides services such as on-site client service, remote managed IT services, managed security services, marketing and sales. In addition, GeekTek is the leading IT provider and technology thought leader in the cannabis industry and has entered the cannabis industry as an ancillary business. We are a friendly and upbeat company with great communication between the locations and teams.
Who You Are
This position will be located in Sherman Oaks, Los angeles as a Part - time Copy Editor. It is important that you have excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral. We are a fast-paced company that is expanding rapidly and we are seeking team members who will share our vision for the future and work collaboratively in order to accomplish GeekTek’s goals. We pride ourselves on providing superior service to our clients, which includes having attention to detail, following the processes in place, and being able to adapt to a variety of situations.
1. Check text to ensure it is well written and logically structured
2. Correct grammar and spelling
3. Look out for potential errors and discuss them with the publisher
4. Check illustrations and captions are correct.
5. Overseeing the work of indexers, typesetters and designers;
6. Typesetting and designing layout;
7. Ensuring that publications are prepared on budget and schedule
8. Correcting spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
9. Preparing preliminary pages for the title, contents and preface of a publication.
10. Managing marketing and business activities.
11. Coding manuscripts for design features, such as hierarchy of headings, to instruct the team
12. Ensuring that illustrations are correctly captioned and referred to in the text
13. Checking that authors have provided all the required materials and paperwork
14. Maintaining awareness of new words or phrases coming into popular usage with a view to ensuring they’re appropriate for the readership
15. Working with IT-based publishing systems and databases, as well as via the internet, CD-ROMs or from paper manuscripts;
16. Producing or working to a style checklist to ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalisation, formatting of references, etc;
17. Retrieving articles from archives and rearranging within publications;
1. Proven experience of 4-6 years in copy editing.
2. Must work 6-8 hrs per week
3. Excellent written English, including good spelling and grammar
4. Proofreading and editing
5. A meticulous approach to their work and an eye for detail
6. The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
7. A love of and feel for language.